This recipe might look like it has a lot going on, but it can truly be thrown together in under 30 minutes, and is oh so tasty. Between the spicy ground turkey, the tangy lime-yogurt sauce, and the sweet tortillas, these have an incredible amount of flavor!
This recipe is paleo (or primal) friendly, grain free, and macro friendly as well. Let us know if you give them a try!
TURKEY TACOS WITH PLANTAIN TORTILLAS AND LIME YOGURT
TO MAKE THE TORTILLAS:
- Two large plantains, about 380g (the riper they are, the sweeter they'll be)
- One whole egg
- 1 TB Avocado Oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel the plantains and toss them into a food processor with all other ingredients and pulse until smooth.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and give the paper a light mist of olive oil.
- Spoon batter into circles, using back of spoon to spread them out and make quite thin. They won't change size much in the oven so make them any size you like! We made ours about 4 to 6 inches across.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until edges are browned.
TO MAKE THE TURKEY:
- 1 lb ground Turkey (can substitute ground beef or any other meat!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (we like fire roasted)
- 1 TB olive oil
- Spice mix:
- 1 TB Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Warm olive oil in skillet or pan
- Add in diced onion, and sauté on medium heat until transparent, about 5-8 minutes
- Add in ground meat, break it up with spoon and begin to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Toss in spice mix, and stir to combine. Allow spices and meat to continue to brown and cook for about 5 minutes, or until almost all the way cooked through
- Pour in diced tomatoes, mix. Allow mixture to simmer for another 5 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
TO BUILD THE TACOS:
You'll need (optional):
- Cabbage or greens
- Hot sauce
- Yogurt-lime sauce (if you tolerate it):
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt, mixed with juice from half a lime
- White rice (if you tolerate it)
Start with your homemade tortillas and add in your spiced meat mixture. Top with greens or white rice, a dollop of salsa and your yogurt lime sauce, some diced fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime and a dash of hot sauce! Flavor city, here you come!
Also great without tortillas, made into either a large salad or rice bowl, depending on your preferences.