Happy October, friends! What's not to love about this season? The chillier temps, the leaves changing, the cozy sweaters and blankets, and of course, colds! Seems like everyone I know has gotten hit with a bad cold in the last couple weeks, and my husband and I were no exception. We both got hit at the same time (for the fist time in our 9 years together), and suffice it to say it was a very pathetic household for a few days!
I whipped up this soup while we were both under the weather and it was just what the Dr ordered. Because I wanted it to be ready to eat as soon as possible, I took advantage of some pre-made store bought foods and rummaged through the freezer to make the prep work go quicker! If you'd rather have homemade components, feel fee to use those instead! You might not be able to find my specific meatballs but I'm certain whatever you find at the store or whip up at home will be just as delish in here! Don't be afraid to get creative! (But do read your ingredients).
KALE + SPICY CHICKEN MEATBALL SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots (or one large), finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joes 21 Season Salute (or spice blend of choice)
- 1/2 - 1 pound cooked chicken Italian meatballs (Or any meatballs of choice, really. I used one pound of store bought meatballs because that's what I had in the freezer, but you could of course use homemade ones! Spicy sausage, chopped, would also be delicious in this!)
- 1 bunch flat leaf kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade or store bought (This is what I used)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about another 5-8 minutes. Then add garlic and stir through, being careful not to burn it.
- Add cooked meatballs to pan and allow to brown and heat through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add chopped kale, paprika, nutmeg, seasoning mix, and some salt and pepper to pot and stir through. Cook until Kale begins to soften and wilt, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth. Contents of pot should be covered in broth- if not, add some water until covered. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan and stir to release any residue from meatballs browning (that's great flavor!).
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes, or until kale is completely softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Add in 2 cups cooked gluten free rotini pasta.
Be sure to let me know if you make this! I hope you enjoy it! Stay healthy out there my friends!